I've been reading the Route1to499 bus blog for some months now. Ben - who writes it - is trying to travel on all London's bus routes. He'll be doing this until 2012.
The idea tickled me, so I asked Ben to accompany him on some trips. So today, me and he went on three routes (108, 241, 309) from the grimy / glittering heights of Lewisham to buzzy-with-anticipation Stratford, from there to down at heel Canning Town, and finally from there through the residential heart of Tower Hamlets to Bethnal Green.
- the Las Vegas-esque sign outside Lewisham library
- a street called The Squirrels
- the church of St Margaret's, Lee (I like the punctuation)
- the Blackheath Conservatoire of Music (built in 1896)
- the zigzagging Blackwall Tunnel
- planes landing at London City Airport