Sketching out

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I went to see a student Work-in-Progress show today at the Royal College of Art. I loved it, seeing the many ways the students research and develop their work.

The exhibition featured fashion, textiles, metalwork and photography students. My favourites were:


  • Thomas Adank - whose website I think this is - had bold, pastel colours in simple brown frames. It appears to be a big block of colour, until you go closer and realise the colour you're looking at an expanse of Lenor fabric softener.
  • Melanie Rozencwajg's beautiful images show people in Liverpool Street & Euston stations. She removes the clutter, shops, floors, and everything around to leave just the people in small scale, almost pattern-like.
  • Frederico Camara's research on maps and Brazilian immigration in the UK, though in early stages, seemed interesting.
  • Luke Trybula's textiles were very attractive
  • Keith Barry's textile research was particularly impressive, with intricate pattern and detailing.
Sadly, I can't show any images as photography was prohibited, and I can't find any on the web.

Here are some sketches I did:

Dot sketch


Cross sketch

Colour pattern sketch



2tone pattern sketch

0 comments: