About 8 years ago, I started asking people to draw maps of the world. It was a fun project, and over the course of 6 years, I collected the world drawn by 80 people - the world in 80 ways.
During this, I also realised I enjoyed the idea of people drawing their own country - so I set about finding Europeans* to draw their country. And, today, I have finally finished!
The first map I uploaded was on 6 April 2005 - the Netherlands by Rolf. The last - just today, 16 September 2013 - was Bosnia & Herzegovina by Ahmet.
Over the past 8 years, I've collected maps from:
- friends (like Deirdre's Ireland or Hervé's France)
- from friends of friends (like Tatiana's Russia or Yuliya's Ukraine, Lorena's Switzerland and Felician and Lisa's Hungary)
- from strangers I randomly met (like Alice's Belgium or Jaan's Estonia)
- from visiting cultural centres in London (like Miloš' Montenegro or Gaļis' Latvia)
- from the internet (like Daphne's Greece, Mauro's Portugal or Novala's Germany) and
- from visiting lots of countries (like Fredi's Slovenia, Klaus' Croatia and Marina's Serbia or Myriam's San Marino).
You can see the story behind each map here.
And I've enjoyed it all, meeting new people, talking to them and learning more about the huge variety and diversity in Europe.
And now all that's left to be said is a very, very large thank you to all those who took the time to draw me maps.