World Cup in London: Brazil

Monday, July 07, 2014

I went to watch Brazil -v- Colombia on Friday evening in Willesden.

There are lots of Brazilian shops and cafés in Willesden Junction / Harlesden, so I was expecting a good atmosphere.

Wandering around before the match, I saw lots of Brazilian flags adorned houses and shops - mainly a combination of Brazilian beauty and butchers.

I first settled in a small café bar, which was pretty quiet to begin with... until Brazil scored their first goal a few minutes into the match.


Nonetheless, midway through the first half, I decided to wander on and found The Misty Moon in Harlesden.

This large bar was full, packed full of Brazilian fans. It was a huge party.






Into the second half, Brazil were in the lead, and the celebrations had begun. Lots were paying no attention to the game, choosing to dance, laugh, party.

Then out came a huge Brazilian flag, the size of an average London flat.

A banner outside the bar was emblazoned with Rio de Harlesden. It really felt like I was in Brazil when the final whistle went.
The singing and dancing went on for ages, and as I left, all along my bus route, more and more groups of Brazil fans were waving their flags and celebrating their victory.

Imagine what it'll be like if they actually win the World Cup!

0 comments: